http://www.blogger.com/

Saturday, October 2, 2010

One Month Away!

The election is just one month away! Even a local school board election requires a great deal of time from the candidate and my calendar from this past week and next week is full of election-related events. I also have spent some time this morning tallying income and expenses for a report due to the Fair Political Practices Commission on Tuesday. There's plenty of paperwork associated with an election!

As of this morning, I have spent about $1400 more than I have taken in from campaign contributions. This is much better than last time when I spent about $4500 in personal funds, but I am still hopeful that this year's campaign will be fully funded.

For those who wonder about compensation for being on the school board, the stipend is $300 a month, before taxes, medicare, & social security. It was $400 a month, but our board voted for a 25% cut due to the budget crisis. Between board meetings, advisory meetings, phone calls, training, and events, I probably spend an average of 50 hours a month on school board business. I only put in claims for mileage when I travel far out of the area, and I try to use my own office supplies whenever possible. I also try to spend my stipend supporting our schools through donations to various fundraisers. I've always been an easy mark for kids selling anything. : ) The stipend does help cover some of the expenses associated with being a board member and I appreciate that it is available. Also, although I am eligible for the Health & Welfare benefits, I do not take them, which saves the District quite a bit of money over a four year term.

I am sharing this information for two purposes. First, to dispel the idea that there is a financial incentive for running for the board. In these "City of Bell" days, I think that is important for people to know. I serve on the board for the same reason I volunteer my time to other philanthropic efforts; a calling to serve. Second, it is why I am ok with asking you to help finance my campaign even if you do not have children in our district and/or do not live in our district. I believe it is important that we support regular citizens who are willing to take the plunge into the political arena, so more will be encouraged to do so. Most of the people I know support various causes far outside their own community in order to make the world a better place. That is the spirit in which I ask for your support. Donations of any amount are greatly appreciated and I would be thrilled with 140 ten dollar donations. You can donate via PayPal (credit cards work even without a PayPal account) by clicking on the Donate button right above the picture of Aidan and I.

Please feel free to call or comment.
Thanks
Lisa
760-887-2307


P.S. If you've requested a sign, they are being delivered this weekend. I still have more available and would be glad to deliver one to your Apple Valley home or business. Just let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment